Sunday, June 29, 2008

I’m a SWAGaholic… (LegalTech Day 2)

On the Friday of LegalTech I was able to spend some time walking through the vendor displays in the trade show. I was disappointed to see from my trade show book that there was no category for Archiving. I think archiving is a critical factor to success for eDiscovery (see previous post) so not having a category for it was surprising. By my count there were 4 companies there that had major focus on email archiving. Most were focused on the eDiscovery process or at least a part of the eDiscovery process. This isn’t surprising since it is a show for legal professionals.

I had a conversation with a person at the eCopy booth that was worth mentioning. They make software that sits on top of a Canon network copier/scanner. The software allows users to scan physical documents into electronic documents and helps to automate the process when you are working with a large number of documents. Some of the features they offer are:

Bates Numbering – Assigns each document a unique number as it is scanned into electronic format.

OCR – Recognizes scanned text so that it can be indexed or categorized.

Annotations – Allows you to make notes on the electronic document as well as redact any text that should not be seen.

I know that document scanning solutions have been around for a while but what impressed me about eCopy was the high number of connectors they offered in their solution. They have the capability to integrate with email applications, document management solutions, and hr systems just to name a few. The salesperson I was speaking two also mentioned the possibility of archiving being a need.

There are still some companies out there that have yet to convert the majority of business that they used to do on paper over to digital. They might be storing data in a physical archive that involves paper document storage. Imagine the amount of storage space saved in going from a physical archive to a digital archive. Not to mention the information is now indexed and can easily be searched for later recall. I would think that in order to ensure that you are protected and can recall data quickly you would want to move to a digital archive as quickly as possible.

After making it around the show floor I spent some time at our booth. I was surprised over two days at how many people asked me what eDiscovery was. I guess I never thought that some legal professionals still might be new to this industry. So for those of you that are new to eDiscovery let me lend you a hand. The simplest definition that the EDRM website provides is this:

The process of finding, identifying, locating, retrieving, and reviewing potentially relevant data in designated computer systems.

Oh and by the way. EDRM stands for the “Electronic Discovery Reference Model” and they (the group is made up of over 70 participating companies) spend the majority of their time setting standards and guidelines for the eDiscovery industry. It is a great place to get started. Here’s the link: http://www.edrm.net/

Last but not least… One of my favorite things to do at trade shows is get some SWAG (It’s for the kids, honest). As I walked by the booths I collected anything that looked like it might keep me (I mean the kids) entertained. The winner this show (or the item that kept the kids entertained best) was what I can only describe as a wall crawler. Remember the sticky rubber animals that you can throw against the walls and they would slowly crawl down? The kids loved these and immediately started throwing them all over the house. Apparently when I was a kid I never realized that they leave marks on the walls and windows. Now I do…

Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , ,

No comments: